-SMOLAN, Kan. –
A squirrel is to blame for a large house fire in Saline County.
Saline County Sheriff’s Captain Roger Soldan says a squirrel was electrocuted on a power line and dropped to the ground, catching the grass on fire. That fire spread to a house in the 4500 block of S. Burma Road in Smolan.
I hate tree rats!
Well, not really. But they are pests. I had one actually run over my foot the other day making his escape to the walnut tree.
I leave all the dropped walnuts on the ground for the darn things during the winter – mostly because no one wants to gather the things anymore – and the squirrels are accustom to feeding on them.
The dogs lead sweeps the nuts into orderly rows caused by him running through the same patterns while he is out there.
On occasions I can get to the back yard before alerting the squirrels and surprise the idiotic things into fanciful flights. Like running over my feet to gain an escape tree; or running smack into a poll on the fence trying to make a climbing escape from ground to ladder fence to tree, to ground and running in bounds to the creek.
Once I had one launch himself from the walnut tree toward the roof of the house, but he was watching me and missed the house roof.
I waited until he had some traction on reality and faked a jump toward him. He ran into the foundation on his way across the road out front.
We’ve had three structural fires this past week and Two range fires.
Not a happy week.
From the reaches,